Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Picking up Lindsey's Bridemaid Dress-March 24, 2012

 Well, I am about a month behind with my wedding blog updates, so I decided to skip the gym on this cold April morning to catch up before I get ready for a long day at work.  These photos were taken on March 24th, when Lindsey and I spent a Saturday afternoon running to David's Bridal to pick up her bridesmaid dress from being ordered.  It was the first time I got to see the dress on someone in my color, "jade" and it was super exciting.  She was such a good sport about letting me take pictures of her, even though she knew they would end up on the internet!  :o)  Love her!! 

My sister Aly, went through a ton of fuss to get us all these champagne colored cardigans with rhinestone buttons from Macy's and ship them to us so the girls could try them on with their dresses.  We wanted something for them to be able to wear over their shoulders since the wedding is in October.  Turns out though, that once Lindsey had it on with the dress...the sweater Aly bought didn't really work at all.  The flat woven material offset the silky fabric of the dress, the length wasn't quite right, and the fitted nature of the sweater didn't allow for it to be buttoned comfortably and would hide the rouging at the waistline of the dress anyway.  Lindsey and I felt horrible that after all Aly had done to pick them out, order Elise's, and have them shipped them to us-- we didn't like them.  Lindsey tried on a few cropped jackets at David's, but they were $50 each and had to be ordered.  That was more than half the cost of the dress itself so we left those behind.
Lindsey had fun looking through the racks of wedding dresses while we waited for them to get her bridesmaid dress for us.  She may have even found her perfect dress, so I can't post that picture here yet!

 Since we couldn't use the cardigans that Aly bought from Macy's, Lindsey and I took a trip there to try to return them.  Even with the receipt, that proved impossible because we didn't have Aly's original form of payment (her debit card).  We wandered the store a little disgruntled to see if there was anything Lindsey could spend her gift card on, and it turns out we ran into the sweetest Macy's Sales Associate who helped us try on scarves as shawls and find the cutest shoes.  She was our fashion consultant right there in the dressing room and helped us decide between the caramel, chocolate, or ivory colored shawls that Lindsey graciously agreed to try on with her dress after having to run back to the car to get it!  She was exhausted and tired of playing dress up, but kept a smile on her face for me--since I will be a bridesmaid in her wedding next year, I know my day will come! Haha.   

Jeff & Lindsey--my favorite twins in the whole world!
After I got home from shopping with Lindsey, Jeff and I drove out to Glennpeter Jewelers to pick up our wedding bands. We had Mike with us, because we planned on stopping in Amsterdam on our way home to meet Lindsey and Matt for dinner and a movie. I was caught off guard when we picked up the rings because I was so excited and when I slipped it on my finger my heart sank. Something was wrong but I couldn't put my finger on it. No pun intended. Jeff gave me a funny look and couldn't understand why I wasn't happy with it---it's gorgeous, let's go, he said. With Mike there, I didn't want to dwell on it and make a scene, and I didn't know what was wrong anyway--he was right--the ring was gorgeous, and we had dinner and a movie planned so I signed the paper saying we approved and picked it up and we were on our way.

Back in the car, I got on my phone and pulled up this very website to check my wedding blog from the day we ordered the rings.  Turns out, what was missing on my ring was the mil grain detail that I had wanted to make my ring match Jeff's.  I felt better once I knew what was missing and that I wasn't crazy, but panicked because I didn't know if it would be an easy fix or a fight to get it right when we went back.  The whole time Jeff rolled his eyes at me while I advocated for the fact that, when we had spent that much money on rings, and when I had to wear it the rest of my life--they better be right!  At Applebees, when Lindsey arrived I pulled her into the bathroom like an hysterical teenage girl to vent about the issues with the ring and Jeff's nonchalant attitude.  She patiently reminded me that Jeff is a man, and men don't really care about things like jewelry and that she was sure we could get it fixed.  With a better perspective, and a deep breath, I was able to enjoy the rest of my night with friends and the love of my life  (even though the movie we watched, The Grey, was horrible--lol). 

No comments:

Post a Comment