Tuesday, December 20, 2011

How It All Started

Jeff & I, October 2006

Five years and three months ago, Jeff found me online at Yahoo Personals. By all my earlier qualifications his message to me would have been deleted--he was too short, and he lived an hour away. But his message to me was down to earth and candid, and I decided we'd meet for a date. On September 25th in Borders in Saratoga, NY we chatted over Starbucks coffee. Then he wanted to take me to dinner at Gaffney's Restaurant. Afterwards we played pool at Backstreet Billiards, went back to Gaffney's for a drink and dessert--and when we still didn't want the date to end--sat in his car in a 24 hour CVS/pharmacy parking lot and talked for hours before our first kiss goodnight. It was an instant connection that left us giddy with excitement, and within the week I received a dozen long stemmed red roses and song lyrics in my email inbox that solidified he was a keeper. Before long we were moving into our first apartment together, getting kittens, hunting for our first house, sharing important family and life celebrations and losses together, getting a puppy, finishing up our college educations and daydreaming about the future. And Sunday night in NYC, he finally asked me to marry him, and of course I said YES!

No comments:

Post a Comment