Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Next Steps


So I'm engaged--but now what? I've heard about brides that get all stressed over wedding planning, but I hope I can keep perspective and make this a fun process of discovery and creativity. However, I really don't have a clue where to start! It seems like most women, I'd dreamed of the day since I was a little girl, but I never allowed myself to get swept up in the details and have a set plan, because why set my heart on something I can't have or afford? Now I can get swept up in the details--the ones I can make happen--but it would seem that it is not the details that you start with-- it's the big things, like, uh, you know--the date, venue, guest list/number of people attending and of course the budget!
So far, I've enjoyed spreading the news to family and friends via facebook, phone calls, and inpromptu visits. One of my favorite reactions so far was my Grandma Lewis. I called her before work on Monday to see if she needed me to bring her anything so that I had an excuse to stop by and surprise her. It turned out she asked for something it took me 3 stores to find and I was late for work, but the look on her face when I stuck out my hand and pointed to the ring was priceless. She was as giddy as a school girl and she smiled bigger in the brief time I was able to visit with her than I think I've ever seen! I know she loves Jeff because he has been helping us take care of our camp house up north for years now with lawn mowing etc, and whenever she comes over he cooks something fabulous (and obviously she loves him because she knows he takes good care of me and makes me happy too!) At any rate, that reaction was the best, and meant a lot to me.

So aside from spreading the news, I've chatted briefly with coworkers that have recently gotten engaged and been planning their weddings within the last year or so. They are going to hand down a haul of wedding magazines and connect me with some of their resources. I also have my best friend freaking out and already looking online for websites and blogs that will help us with ideas and planning steps etc. She found www.theknot.com which looks like a great place to start, except there is just sooo much on there I did get overwhelmed for the first time last night looking at it. I created a new email address to sign up on the website and to start having all wedding related info go to the same place.
I also talked to my mom for quite awhile yesterday afternoon and sort of brainstormed as we chatted. In my efforts to stay budget friendly and have lots of personal handmade touches that reflect my personality and how much Jeff and I love our family--I want to think of small ways to get a lot of people involved. I will reveal those in future blog entries, but I'm excited about thinking of what the people that are special in our lives can contribute to our day--so as a few examples--I'd like to ask Jeff's Aunt Amy to make our cake, my Grandma Lewis if I can use her and my grandfather's cake topper, my Aunt Claudia to embroider a ring bearer pillow, my Uncle Norman to ordain the ceremony, Jeff's Uncle George to maybe end up using his lake front property, etc. Still so much to plan and consider, but I think it would make our day that much more special to utilize the strengths, interests, and traditions shared by the people we love most!

1 comment:

  1. you are going to do just fine...take time to relax and enjoy the journey. I will help you with whatever I can (but it's been a long time since I've done this).

    ReplyDelete