Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Engagement Ring Resizing Leads to Wedding Band Shopping

On Monday afternoon Jeff and I finally got around to driving to Albany to get my engagement ring re-sized. I was reluctant to go because I knew I'd miss it while they were fixing it, and I didn't want to hear that I'd have to change the setting. Jeff was under the impression that they couldn't make that style smaller (since it has diamond chips around the top and sides about half way around the band). However, with the cold weather my fingers contract so much that the ring was really loose and it made me more and more nervous that I'd lose it. Since that was a worse fate than having to change the setting, I gave in to go get it re-sized.
We walked into Glennpeter Jewelers and I was in awe. There was a bar, a sitting area with gas fireplace, and the overhead lighting had a warm glow that made the jewelry shimmer in the cases. I joked with Jeff when I saw the bar that some poor bastards must have to take the edge off before making the leap to drop that much money on a ring that will bind their fate to a woman for the rest of their lives. I asked Jeff if he had a drink when he was there picking out my ring. He sheepishly nodded yes, and I laughed. He said he was here for awhile picking it out and he sat a the bar for one before he started looking. I smiled thinking about him there one evening after work, peering through the glass counter tops to pick out the ring he knew would bring me to tears and make me the happiest woman in the world.
After I worked with a salesperson to get my ring re-fitted and handed it over (thankfully I didn't have to change the setting!) Jeff surprised me by asking if I wanted to look at wedding bands while we were there. I knew I wanted a band to match my ring, so we looked for one without much luck. The salesperson was going to call the vendor of my engagement ring to see if they made a wedding band to match or if we need to have one custom made. With that figured out, and with the great news that since Jeff bought our engagement ring there, our wedding bands would be buy one get one free, we looked for Jeff's ring. I saw a few I liked a lot, but in the end, Jeff wasn't thrilled enough with any of them to make a decision yet. We are going to look again when we pick up my engagement ring from being re-sized.
It was a fun little moment with him. One where looking through the glass and pointing to the possibilities, we were pointing at a symbol of our never ending love for each other. It was finally sinking in that those rings will be tokens we will wear and look at every day for the rest of our lives. I love that ever since that fateful night in NYC when he slid that diamond ring on my finger, our honeymoon stage was rekindled and the camaraderie and the joy flowing between us fills me with so much hope for our future. It feels so good to be so sure about this one thing in life, when so much of life is uncertain--I'm certain I'm the luckiest woman in the world to have Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment